The Burlington County Community Action Program (BCCAP), has been a non-profit providing services in Burlington County for over 50 years. They offer a variety of services such as Home Energy Assistance, Housing Assistance, Senior and Permanent Housing, Early Education-Head Start, Child Care Resource and Referrals, Parent Education for pregnant mothers and mothers of young children both in home and out of the home, civic engagement and volunteer services/opportunities.  

October 1st of every year starts the mark of the heating season that runs until April/May.  BCCAP is currently accepting applications to assist Burlington County residents with their heating costs (gas/electric/deliverable fuel), monthly electric/gas energy burden, emergency assistance to prevent shut off to eligible heating source, and medically necessary cooling incentive for the summer months. BCCAP provides Burlington County residents this assistance by processing the following applications based on the individual’s eligibility: 

-Low Income Home Energy Assistance (LIHEAP):  

  • If the applicant applies during the heating season (Oct 1-April 30th) which is NOW they are entitled to

         – Heating Energy Assistance (HEA) If they are responsible for heat (gas/electric/ deliverable fuel) they will receive a one time heating credit directly to their source of heat (gas/electric) or a check for to purchase their deliverable fuel during this heating season (that can be renewed annually). If an applicant is NOT responsible for heating, such as it is included in their rent BUT they are not living in subsidized housing/HUD housing they still QUALIFY for a one time (a season) heating supplemental payment (called a renter’s payment) to help offset some of their rent cost since heat is included

         -Universal Service Funds (USF) IF they are responsible for gas OR electric or gas AND electric, Processors will calculate the applicants energy burden to see if they qualify for monthly USF credits (monthly for up to a year = 12 months, able to renew annually). Every person despite their income are responsible for paying 3% their income on each basic needs utilities (gas and/or electric.. total of 6% of income if you have both accounts). Processors work with utility companies to assess the applicants actual annual energy burden (will review applicant’s utility usage for the last 12 months. Any usage amount that exceeds the applicants 3% or 6% threshold for energy burden will be divided by 12 and the applicant will receive an assistance credit (in the maximum amount of $150 combined for both utility types- NOT $150 max for each utility account) monthly for up to 12 months to assist with the energy burden. Applicants can apply for this year round. There is no end or start date for the benefits. It takes roughly 2 weeks to process energy burden and credit amounts, if any, after receipt and processing of a complete application.
            -Cooling Assistance- If the applicant has a medical necessity documented by medical prescription or other verification type that requires them to stay cool during the summer months, then they are able to apply for cooling and submit verifying documents from the beginning of the season Oct 1 to the end of the heating season April 30th. A supplemental check will be provided to the applicant from May-June to be able to purchase an air conditioning unit or pay towards their summer energy costs which will naturally be higher because of their medical need. 
             -Deliverable Fuel Emergency Assistance- AVAILABLE NOW until April 30th. If an applicant heats with a deliverable fuel (propane gas, oil, kerosene, wood burning stove, etc.) they are eligible to receive (in addition to their original HEA one time benefit) an emergency delivery of fuel within 48 hours of processing their Emergency Application Request  in the amount of $600. 
             -Gas/Electric Emergency Assistance- Any applicant that applies during  the Heating Season (Oct 1- April 30th) and heats using gas or electric will be classified under protected under the Winter Termination Law created by Board of Public Utilities (BPU) which state these identified applicants/individuals shall not have THEIR SOURCE OF HEAT suspended for non payment during the time period of November 15-March 15 annually. Staring March 16th of every year until the end of the heating season (April 30th) applicants that have applied for LIHEAP may submit an Emergency Assistance Request to prevent shut off. The amount of Emergency Assistance is determined during the heating season by the State of NJ but on average is between $450-600.

  • Guidelines: Have gross income at or below 200% of the federal poverty level (also determined by household size)

Household Size 








Maximum Annual Income  










·         Have gross income at 201% – 400% of the federal poverty level (also determined by household size) 

·         Applicants 65 years of age or older, with households of one or two members, maximum household gross income is $5,833 monthly/$70,000 annually  

·         Any applicants receiving Federal Social Security Disability (SSD) benefits, with households of one or two members, maximum household gross income is $5,833 monthly/$70,000 annually  

Household Size 








Minimum Annual Income 








Maximum Annual Income  










  • New Jersey with up to $1,500/year in benefits to pay their utility bills
  • Have gross income at 201% – 450% of the federal poverty level (also determined by household size) 

Household Size 








Minimum Annual Income 








Maximum Annual Income  









The purpose of this email is to be able to coordinate with your local office to be able to distribute this information specifically to the residents of your municipality/township/borough. I propose to have BCCAP staff work closely with the mayor, clerks and other designated municipal staff/direct contacts to be able to provide this information, as well as linkages and referrals to the residents. My suggestions for the best way this can be achieved are: 

·         Having information posted on the official municipal website.

·         Having actual applications/brochures/information packets available at the clerk’s office/municipal building.

·         For municipalities that utilize email or texts blast to send subscribers alerts- creating email/text to inform subscribers in the area that applications are being accepted now.

·         Identify what local areas/buildings in the municipality would be willing to allow one of our staff to come and either present more information or schedule a time to accept applications for those who are not able to come into our main office in Willingboro.   

·         Accessibility to be able to display and post agency information to identify and provide the address/directions to our main site in Willingboro that accepts drop-off/mail-in applications and our official agency website that provides electronic applications.

For more information, see here:


HEA application






-Completed Intake/Application with signature and date

-Copies of the Following:

*Valid Picture ID for Head of Household/Applicant

*Social Security cards for all members of the household

*Proof of any and all sources of income for all household members that are 18 years of age or older (if they go to school/are a student then show proof of school) (if they don’t work-submit letter verifying and documenting zero income)

*Proof of owning (deed/tax bill/mortgage statement) or renting (lease/landlord letter) property

*Current electric and/or gas bill (one bill for each utility you are applying for)


Walk-ins of applications are accepted on site or they can be mailed to or dropped off at:

BCCAP-Home Energy Assistance Program

Dickens Community Center
1 Van Sciver Parkway
Willingboro, NJ. 08046